In this paper the authors outline the role of the Ruma–Vrdnik Local Railway Stock Company in the construction and exploitation of the Ruma–Vrdnik railway line and the mine in Vrdnik. The stock company was founded in 1889 in Zagreb. The Ruma–Vrdnik railway line was open for trafϐic on 4 July 1889. It was built for the purpose of exploiting the mine in Vrdnik. Both the mine and the railway line were owned by the Pongratz family. In 1907, after they were sold to the state, the reason for the existence of the railway stock company ceased to exist and it entered a liquidation process. After the brown coal mine terminated its production, the entire trafϐic on the Ruma–Vrdnik railway line was discontinued in the 1970s.